A Perfect Poached Egg
One of my favorites for a quick breakfast or lunch is poached egg on toast. I usually just season with salt and black pepper and have on its own, or might have some tomato or avocado if I have it. I did a poached egg yesterday with some grated parmesan and tabasco. I've been asked before about how to get that perfect poached egg with a soft runny yolk. There are little accessories you can buy and use as a mould for a poached egg to get the perfect shape but I'm not too fussy about that.
Although it does help to break the egg into a mug first and then slide it into the pan.
- Boil a little water in a small saucepan, enough to cover the eggs.
- Bring the water to light simmer. If the water is too hot the eggs will cook too quickly.
- With a fork, swirl the water so that it's moving in a circular direction when you break the eggs in.
- When you add the eggs, leave the eggs on a light simmer for 4 mins.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve on buttered toast.